Where to File I-589 | Application For Asylum, And For Withholding of Removal

Once you have filled out the entire Form I-589, signed and dated it, and compiled all of your supporting documents, you are ready to send everything to United States Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS). The mailing address where you should send your form depends on:

  • Whether you are in Immigration Court proceedings
  • Where you live

If you are not in Immigration Court proceedings

If you are physically in the United States and you are in status, meaning you entered and/or remained in the United States with a valid immigration classification, (you are here lawfully); or you entered or remained in the United States unlawfully but you have consulted an immigration attorney about your ability to apply for asylum, and/or you are not in Immigration Court proceedings, you should send your completed, signed Form I-589 and supporting material to the USCIS Service Center for the area where you live. See the list below.

Send your application to: Texas Service Center, Attn: Asylum P.O. Box 851892, Mesquite, TX 75185-1892 if you live in:

  • Alabama
  • Arkansas
  • Colorado
  • District of Columbia
  • Florida
  • Georgia
  • Louisiana
  • Maryland
  • Mississippi
  • New Mexico
  • North Carolina
  • Oklahoma
  • Puerto Rico
  • South Carolina
  • Tennessee
  • Texas
  • U.S. Virgin Islands
  • Utah
  • Virginia
  • West Virginia
  • Wyoming
  • Western Pennsylvania counties of Allegheny, Armstrong, Beaver, Bedford,
    Blair, Bradford, Butler, Cambria, Clarion, Clearfield, Crawford, Elk, Erie,
    Fayette, Forest, Greene, Indiana, Jefferson,Lawrence, McKean, Mercer,
    Somerset, Venango, Warren, Washington, and Westmoreland

Send your application to: California Service Center,  P.O. Box 10881, Laguna Niguel, CA 92607-0881 if you live in:

  • Arizona
  • California counties of Imperial, Los Angeles, Orange, Riverside, San Bernardino, San Diego, Santa Barbara, San Luis Obispo, or Ventura
  • Guam
  • Hawaii
  • Nevada counties of Clark, Esmerelda, Nye or Lincoln

Send your application to: Nebraska Service Center, P.O. Box 87589 Lincoln, NE 68501-7589, if you live in:

  • Alaska
  • Idaho
  • Illinois
  • Indiana
  • Iowa
  • Kansas
  • Kentucky
  • Michigan
  • Minnesota
  • Missouri
  • Montana
  • Nebraska
  • North Dakota
  • Ohio
  • Oregon
  • South Dakota
  • Washington
  • Wisconsin
  • Any county in California or Nevada not listed above.

Send your application to: Vermont Service Center, Attention: Asylum, 75 Lower Welden Street St., Albans, VT 05479-0589 if you live in:

  • Connecticut
  • Delaware
  • Maine
  • Massachusetts
  • New Hampshire
  • New Jersey
  • New York
  • Rhode Island
  • Vermont
  • A county in Pennsylvania which is not listed above

If you are in Immigration Court proceedings

You are considered to be in Immigration Court proceedings if you have received (been served with) any of the following:

  • Form I-221, Order to Show Cause and Notice of Hearing
  • Form I-122, Notice to Applicant for Admission Detained for Hearing Before an Immigration Judge
  • Form I-862, Notice to Appear
  • Form I-863, Notice of Referral to Immigration Judge

If you are in Immigration Court proceedings, you must submit your Form I-589 to the Immigration Court that is hearing your case. The name and address of this court should be on any of the forms listed above. If you are already represented by an immigration attorney, he or she will also have the name and address for this court. If you do not have an immigration lawyer and you are in Immigration Court proceedings, contact us before filing your application for asylum with the court.